February 17, 2026 05:08 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
Peru

Peru: UN rights office decries excessive use of force in November protests

| @indiablooms | Jan 13, 2021, at 04:25 pm

New York: Police in Peru used unnecessary and excessive force during protests in the capital last November challenging the legitimacy of the interim President, a report published on Tuesday by the UN Human Rights Office, OHCHR has found.

Officers did not distinguish between the mainly peaceful protestors and a minority who allegedly acted violently, according to the study.

The report is the result of an OHCHR mission to the Peruvian capital, Lima, from 17 to 22 November 2020, at the invitation of the Government.

It said police fired pellets from 12-gauge shotguns and tear gas canisters directly at people’s heads and upper bodies, indiscriminately and from close range. Two people were killed and more than 200 others, including passers-by, were injured.

Recognition ‘a first step’

“International law is clear: people have the right to peaceful assembly, and gatherings can only be dispersed in exceptional cases”, said Michelle Bachelet, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.

She noted that lethal force could only be used against specific individuals to address an imminent threat of death. 

Bachelet underlined that all allegations of human rights violations should be promptly, independently and thoroughly investigated.  It was also important for the Government to publicly acknowledge that violations had been committed, she added. 

“Recognition of wrongdoing is the first step towards accountability and avoiding repetition. The Government has formed a commission to follow up on actions in favour of certain victims. However, it is essential that the police command also recognizes that human rights violations were committed”, the UN rights chief said.

Investigate all allegations

The report also concluded that people had been arbitrarily arrested and detained in the protests, while journalists and human rights defenders suffered threats and attacks.

“I truly hope that the authorities – both Government and Congress – take the necessary steps to ensure law enforcement agencies conduct themselves according to international human rights norms and standards”, said Ms. Bachelet. “The State must also uphold the right of the victims and their families to justice, truth and reparations, including non-recurrence.”

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.