February 20, 2026 11:06 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message

Italian PM extends national coronavirus lockdown

| @indiablooms | Apr 11, 2020, at 12:15 pm

Rome, April 11 (Xinhua) Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte on Friday announced the decision to extend the national coronavirus quarantine until at least May 3.

In a national address, Conte spoke for 32 minutes including an online question-and-answer period with journalists.

While the prime minister extended the national lockdown first applied on March 10, the new rules also allow some minor concessions, including the re-opening of stores that sell goods for children as well as those selling stationery and books, beginning April 14.

Conte said he hoped the extension of the lockdown to May 3 would be the last full extension of the measure that is keeping almost all of Italy's more than 60 million people at home.

"Our hope is that after May 3 we can gradually start again, with caution, gradually," Conte said. "But this will depend on the efforts we make between now and then."

"We are determined to loosen the measures for economic activity as soon as possible. But we are not yet in a position to do so," he added.
Conte also cautioned against Italians letting down their guard.

"We cannot risk nullifying the efforts and sacrifices we have made so far," Conte said. "If we give in to temptation (to ignore quarantine rules) we risk having to start over from the start."
Italy remains one of the countries hit the hardest by the COVID-19 pandemic, with nearly 19,000 deaths and nearly 150,000 infections.

More than 350,000 people tuned into Conte's address, which was aired on the social media platform Facebook. 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.