February 22, 2026 05:29 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal | Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports | US Supreme Court shocks Donald Trump on tariffs — but India may still end up paying more | PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit

SRK, Sachin mourn Bengal cricketer Ankit's death

| | Apr 21, 2015, at 03:34 am
Kolkata, Apr 20 (IBNS): Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan and cricketing legend Sachin Tendulkar mourned the death of Bengal cricketer Ankit Keshri who passed away in a central Calcutta hospital on Monday following an injury.

"Too young to go…extremely unfortunate & sad.  Condolences & prayers for Ankit Keshri & his family. May Allah bless his soul. R.I.P," Khan, who is the owner of IPL team Kolkata Knight Riders, tweeted.

Lamenting on the loss, Tendulkar posted: "Saddened by the demise of Ankit Keshri. A promising career aborted by an unfortunate incident on field. May God give strength to Ankit's family and friends to cope with this loss #RIP."

Months after Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes died after he was hit by a ball during a domestic match, similar incident haunted Kolkata as a young and talented Bengal cricketer, Ankit Keshri, who had sustained injury during a match in the city, passed away in a central Calcutta hospital on Monday.

"Tragic incident as Bengal U-23 captain Ankit Keshri passes away. He sustained an injury in the CAB knock out match between EB-Bhawanipur on April 17 at JU ground.After fighting with death,he died today at Nightingale nursing home.RIP Ankit!!!" Bengal Ranji Team said in its Facebook page.

"A good cricketer and a good human being has been lost. God bless the departed soul and give strength to his parents overcome this sudden grief," it said.

Keshri was injured during a Cricket Association of Bengal's Senior knock-out match three days ago. 

He was hospitalized since April 17.

He had captained the Bengal U-19 team in the Cooch Behar Trophy.

The mishap occurred during a clash between East Bengal and Bhowanipore club at the Salt Lake ground.

West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee also mourned the death of the young cricketer as she tweeted: "Saddened, shocked with the news of young cricketer Ankit's death as a result of an on-field accident. My condolences and prayers. RIP."

The world of cricket was shattered after the sad demise of Australian batsman Phillip Hughes on Nov 27 last year.

He was in coma for two days following a head injury sustained while playing in a Sheffield Shield game in Sydney against New South Wales.

He was 25.

Hughes was batting on 63 when he was struck in the head by a bouncer from Sean Abbott. Hughes tried to regain his composure but fell face first to the ground and was taken to the hospital.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.