February 21, 2026 11:40 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message

Sachin bats to save Sarita Devi's career

| | Nov 26, 2014, at 10:19 pm
New Delhi, Nov 26 (IBNS): Indian Batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar took to a different pitch --- this time to save the career of fellow boxer Sarita Devi who is facing international ban for her Asian Games medal fiasco, media reported.

According to reports, cricketer-turned Rajya Sabha MP Sachin has reportedly met Union sports minister Sarbananda Sonowal on Wednesday to discuss the international ban on boxer Sarita Devi.

It has been learnt that Olympic bronze medallists MC Mary Kom and Vijender Singh, IOA President N Ramachandran, Boxing India President Sandeep Jajodia and boxing coach GS Sandhu were also present in the meeting.

"I appeal to the entire country to be behind Sarita Devi," Tendulkar said after the meeting on Wednesday afternoon.

"I understand what she went through as a sportsperson. She has apologised. AIBA (International Boxing Association) should reconsider Sarita's case. We will appeal to them again," Tendulkar added.

Last week, batting legend Tendulkar wrote a letter to the minister urging him to support her and ensure that her career is not terminated prematurely. "I would urge you to kindly look into this issue urgently and ensure that she is given competent support so that her career is not threatened and ends in a premature manner," Tendulkar wrote.

Sarita Devi landed in controversy after she lost the semi-final bout in women's lightweight (60kg) competition at Incheon, South Korea, in September.

Dissatisfied with the judge's verdict, a bemused Sarita refused to bend down to let the medal be placed over her neck.

Instead she gave her medal to her opponent Park Ji-Na, who had been declared the winner of their semifinal bout at the presentation ceremony as a protest,

A sobbing Sarita then left the podium, which created a hue in the Games arena.

Tendulkar reportedly said that being a sportsman he could relate to Sarita's emotional turmoil.

Sports minister also came out in support of Sarita and promised full governmental support to her.

"On behalf of the Government of India, we will take up the matter with AIBA. We will request them to to reconsider her case. India will always be grateful to Sarita for what she has done for the country and she has our full backing," he said.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.