February 22, 2026 01:24 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal | Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports | US Supreme Court shocks Donald Trump on tariffs — but India may still end up paying more | PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit
Rafael Nadal
Wallpaper Cave

Rafael Nadal wins Barcelona Open for 12th time

| @indiablooms | Apr 26, 2021, at 03:24 pm

Barcelona/UNI: Rafael Nadal beat Stefanos Tsitsipas 6-4, 6-7, 7-5 in the final of the 68th edition of the Banco Sabadell Barcelona Open, which is better known as the Conde de Godo Trophy, on Sunday to claim the title for the 12th time in his career.

Nadal had knocked Ilya Ivashka, Kei Nishikori, Cameron Norrie, and Pablo Carreno Busta on his way to the final, playing on his favored clay surface.

The Mallorcan-born player had two match points in the second set, which he eventually lost on a tiebreak to the fifth-ranked player in the world, but he claimed the title after an exciting third set to repeat his 2018 triumph against Tsitsipas in the same competition.

Tsitsipas gave Nadal all sorts of problems with his serve, which reached speeds of 215 kilometers an hour, and he had only suffered one break on his way to Sunday's match.

However, in front of what is virtually his home crowd, Nadal made full use of his experience and his power from the baseline.

Speaking to the press after the final, Nadal said the satisfaction of winning the Conde de Godo had not dimmed after all of the years of his long career, and he welcomed the presence of a limited number of fans in the stands.

"The title means a lot more to me, playing it with an audience after the year that we have had," commented Nadal, who also had words for his rival.

"Stefanos is an incredible opponent, the number 1 of the year, and I knew how hard the final was going to be. It has everything, and it is a very important victory for me," he continued.

The title is the 87th of his career and the first since he won the French Open (Roland Garros) last year and shows Nadal is returning to form after his disappointment in Monte Carlo and ahead of the forthcoming Mutual Madrid Open, which starts next week.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.