February 22, 2026 12:02 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal | Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports | US Supreme Court shocks Donald Trump on tariffs — but India may still end up paying more | PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit
Raheem Sterling
Image: @England Twitter page

English footballer Raheem Sterling leaves Qatar WC squad after burglary at family home

| @indiablooms | Dec 05, 2022, at 11:11 pm

London: An English footballer left the World Cup squad in Qatar and returned to London after his home was burgled, media reports said on Monday.

Raheem Sterling missed England's victory against Senegal by 3-0 margin.

Surrey Police said no-one was home at the time of the burglary on Saturday evening, in which jewellery and watches were taken, and no threats of violence were involved, reports BBC.

"We are currently investigating a report of a burglary at an address in Oxshott, Leatherhead. Police were contacted just before 9pm on Saturday December 3rd after the occupants of the property came home and discovered a number of items including jewellery and watches had been stolen. Enquiries to establish the circumstances are underway and the investigation is ongoing," the police said in a statement.

"No threat of violence was involved as the items were discovered stolen retrospectively. Enquiries into the circumstances are ongoing. No arrests have been made at this time," read the statement.

Speaking after Sunday's match, England manager Gareth Southgate told BBC: "Sometimes football isn't the most important thing and family should come first."

According to his spokesperson, Sterling was "shaken" by the news and "as soon as he was alerted he wanted to get home, concerned for the wellbeing of his children".

Speaking on the issue, the official Twitter handle of the English football squad said: "Raheem Sterling is not available for selection for the #ThreeLions tonight as he is dealing with a family matter."

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.