August 23, 2026 01:55 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
‘Reservation for poor, not caste’: Stir at Delhi’s Jantar Mantar | Dalit woman 'gangrape-murder' shocker in Karnataka: 4 arrested after body found in well | India dismisses Pakistan's 'frustration' over US envoy's J&K remark | Centre denies US visit clearance to Telangana CM Revanth Reddy, says programmes 'not appropriate' | Delhi Police register FIR in pellet gun case after Rahul Gandhi's sit-in | Rahul Gandhi stages dharna at Delhi police station over CJP protest crackdown, targets Amit Shah | CJP school tour turns chaotic in Jaipur: Cars vandalised, stones pelted as Ashutosh Ranka alleges BJP ‘goons’ attack | Vande Mataram row: Kangana Ranaut slams Sharmila Tagore, says ‘come out of Hindu-Muslim mindset’ | Jadavpur erupts again: ABVP-SFI clash, police barricades shattered as fresh tension grips area | Ex-Congress MP and 1984 anti-Sikh riots convict Sajjan Kumar dies while serving life sentence
Mitchell Starc
Australian pacer Mitchell Starc. Photo: Mitchell Starc/Instagram

Australian pace star Mitchell Starc announces retirement from T20 format

| @indiablooms | Sep 02, 2025, at 10:38 am

Australia's white-ball pace spearhead Mitchell Starc, who is known for firing some memorable spells in the shortest format of the game, announced his retirement from T20 internationals to focus on Tests and ODIs.

He has not represented Australia in T20 since his last appearance in the T20 World Cup in West India last year.

According to the Cricket Australia website, the left-arm fast bowler will remain available for Tests, ODIs and domestic T20 leagues, including the Indian Premier League.

He is leaving the format as one of the most successful bowlers in Australian cricket history, scalping 79 wickets from 65 T20Is. He is just behind colleague Adam Zampa.

He is best remembered for his prolific performance in the 2021 edition of the T20 World Cup, where he played a crucial role in the national team's title victory.

"Test cricket is and has always been my highest priority," Starc said in a statement.

"I have loved every minute of every T20 game I have played for Australia, particularly the 2021 World Cup, not just because we won but the incredible group and the fun along the way," he said.

"Looking ahead to an away Indian Test tour, the Ashes and an ODI World Cup in 2027, I feel this is my best way forward to remain fresh, fit and at my best for those campaigns," the cricketer said.

Since David Warner's retirement, several top Australian cricketers, including  Steve Smith, Glenn Maxwell and Marcus Stoinis, have quit the 50-over format.

Praising Starc for his contribution to the game, selection chief George Bailey told Cricket Australia: "He was an integral member of the 2021 World Cup winning side and, as across all his cricket, had a great skill for blowing games open with his wicket-taking ability."

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.