May 23, 2026 09:31 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Big twist in RG Kar case! Calcutta HC orders fresh probe into evidence destruction allegations | Pulwama mastermind Hamza Burhan shot dead in PoK by unknown gunmen: Reports | NIA arrests Kolkata man for spying for Pakistan intelligence network | Cockroach Janta Party X handle withheld! Founder Abhijeet Dipke launches comeback account | Bengal govt makes Vande Mataram compulsory in all madrasas, extends school directive | RBI on alert! Interest rate hike may be coming as rupee crashes to fresh low | Big relief for Maharashtra employees! Fadnavis govt hikes DA to 60% | Twisha Sharma death mystery deepens as crucial evidence ‘not shared’ during autopsy: Report | Balcony Smiles, Colosseum Walks and ‘Melodi’ Magic: Modi-Meloni Chemistry Has The Internet Swooning Again | Big relief signal for Umar Khalid, Sharjeel Imam? Supreme Court questions earlier bail denial

Union Minister Sadananda Gowda peeved when private hospital refuses banned currency

| | Nov 23, 2016, at 09:53 pm
Mangalore, Nov 23 (IBNS): Union Minister Sadananda Gowda had to clear dues at a private hospital in Mangaluru, Karnataka, through cheque, after his brother's demise, as hospital abides by government rule on notes ban, according to media reports.

The former Karnataka chief minister's younger brother, Baskar Gowda, had been admitted to the private hospital  with acute jaundice. He passed away on Tuesday.

Sadananda Gowda's nephew had requested the hospital to accept payment in the banned currencies - of rupees 500 and rupees 1000 -- for the bill of Rs 40,000 raised by the hospital, media reported.

Even Sadananda Gowda's requests were not complied with by the hospital, and the peeved former CM asked the hospital to give it in writing.

"One should be able to give old notes to hospitals and since this is not happening, it is becoming very difficult and it is causing inconvenience to patients," the minister was quoted as saying by NDTV.

"In such a situation, where the government has made a decision, there should be consideration for patients. This step has done nothing but has resulted in a lot of inconvenience to the public at large. I have asked them to give it to me in writing, the kind of inconvenience that was caused to them," he added.

The hospital's top executive Saghir Siddiqui told NDTV: "Our staff told them we cannot accept the demonetised notes. He asked for this in writing and we have given a written statement saying that we are strictly following the guidance issued by the union government and the RBI."

The minister later tweeted, "I took part in the survey on @narendramodi App & shared my opinion on the ban on old notes. You can also do it now!"

As the demonetisation took effect on Nov 8, the government had said that payments could be made to government hospitals with the banned notes for a limited period of time. Private hospitals were not included to prevent the routing of black money, media reported.

Image: Sadananda Gowda Twitter

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.