May 18, 2026 08:44 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Big relief signal for Umar Khalid, Sharjeel Imam? Supreme Court questions earlier bail denial | Left era ends in Kerala! V.D. Satheesan takes oath as CM after UDF’s massive comeback | Drone strike near UAE nuclear plant sparks panic—India calls it a ‘dangerous escalation' | Kathak to Garba: Indian diaspora stuns PM Modi with grand welcome in Amsterdam | ‘Geography or history’: Indian Army chief issues blunt warning to Pakistan over terror support | India, UAE ink key energy deals during Modi’s visit amid West Asia tensions | ‘There can be no better Bengal CM’: Mithun Chakraborty praises Suvendu Adhikari | PM Modi adviser Sanjeev Sanyal frontrunner for Bengal Finance Minister: Report | FIR against Abhishek Banerjee over ‘provocative speeches’ during West Bengal poll campaign | Madhya Pradesh High Court holds Bhojshala complex disputed site to be a temple

No Indian citizen will be left out: Rajnath Singh on Assam NRC row

| @indiablooms | Aug 03, 2018, at 12:19 pm

New Delhi, Aug 3 (IBNS): Amid controversy over Assam's National Register of Citizen (NRC) that excluded over four million people, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Friday assured that no Indian citizen will be left out.

Singh made the comment in the Rajya Sabha, the upper house of the parliament.

He has been quoted by NDTV, "No action will be taken against anyone who can successfully prove their Indian citizenship. I assure everyone that no Indian citizen will be left out. There is absolutely no need to worry."

Singh also said the NRC is a draft and not the final list.

Contradicting to Singh's latest comment, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) national president and Rajya Sabha MP, Amit Shah, had earlier said people whose names are not present in the final list of Assam's NRC are immigrants.

The second and final list of Assam's NRC was released on July 30.

The ruling BJP faced wrath from several opposition parties with West Bengal Chief Minister and Trinamool Congress chief (TMC), Mamata Banerjee, even accusing the saffron outfit of leading to a situation of "civil war and bloodbath". Her remarks led to the filing of an FIR in Assam by the BJP youth wing.

The Assam Accord (1985) , which is the basis of the NRC, was signed between  the Government of India led by Rajiv Gandhi and the leaders of the Assam Movement in New Delhi on 15 August 1985 after a six-year agitation demanding identification and deportation of illegal immigrants  by the All Assam Students’ Union (AASU).

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.