Kolkata
Kolkata: KMC launches massive demolition drive against 'illegal constructions' linked to Javed Khan, Raju Naskar and Sona Pappu
The Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) on Sunday launched a massive demolition drive at three locations across the city, enforcing West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari’s “zero tolerance” policy against illegal constructions.
The operations were carried out in Tiljala, Kasba and Beleghata amid tight security arrangements to prevent any untoward incidents.
🛑🛑G+6 buildings of a housing complex in #Kolkata’s Tiljala are being demolished with #bulldozers. These buildings were allegedly built illegally using political influence during #TMC govt. #CRPF and #KolkataPolice personnel are deployed at the scene#illegalconstruction #BJP pic.twitter.com/8S8F5W1Ypu
— Rajesh Saha (@Journo_Rajesh) May 24, 2026
In Tiljala’s Ward 66, represented by Trinamool Congress (TMC) councillor Faiyaz Ahmed Khan — son of senior TMC MLA Javed Khan — civic officials arrived with bulldozers and began demolishing unauthorised portions of buildings under heavy police deployment, The Telegraph reported.
In Beleghata, the demolition drive was reportedly linked to a structure allegedly associated with local TMC leader Raju Naskar.
“A notice had been issued on May 21 asking the owner to produce relevant building documents within 48 hours. As no response was received, the demolition squad proceeded with the action today,” a KMC official told the newspaper.
Workers initially dismantled portions of the structure manually using hammers and pickaxes before bulldozers were deployed to raze larger sections, the official added.
Residents alleged that the buildings had been constructed in violation of approved civic plans.
கொல்கத்தாவில் உள்ள பெலேகட்டா பகுதியில் 6 சட்டவிரோத கட்டிடங்கள் இன்று இடிக்கப்படுகின்றன.
— Rajbjp (@rajsd_bjp) May 24, 2026
இந்த கட்டிடங்கள் மம்தா கட்சி குண்டர்கள் சோனா பப்பு, ஜாவேத் கான் மற்றும் பிற டிஎம்சி தலைவர்களுக்குச் சொந்தமானது.
உண்மையில் அந்த நிலம் வேறு நபருக்கு சொந்தமானது. வெளிநாட்டில் இருப்பவரின்… pic.twitter.com/hPP89TYqby
A similar demolition drive was also carried out in Kolkata’s Kasba area on properties allegedly linked to arrested land scam accused Biswajit Poddar, alias “Sona Pappu.”
State Municipal Affairs Minister Agnimitra Pal visited the Kasba demolition site and interacted with police officials overseeing the operation.
Sources told UNI that KMC had issued notices to all three properties a few days ago under Section 400(1) of the Kolkata Municipal Corporation Act, 1980.
Support Our Journalism
We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism
IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.
