May 18, 2026 12:37 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Kathak to Garba: Indian diaspora stuns PM Modi with grand welcome in Amsterdam | ‘Geography or history’: Indian Army chief issues blunt warning to Pakistan over terror support | India, UAE ink key energy deals during Modi’s visit amid West Asia tensions | ‘There can be no better Bengal CM’: Mithun Chakraborty praises Suvendu Adhikari | PM Modi adviser Sanjeev Sanyal frontrunner for Bengal Finance Minister: Report | FIR against Abhishek Banerjee over ‘provocative speeches’ during West Bengal poll campaign | Madhya Pradesh High Court holds Bhojshala complex disputed site to be a temple | ‘Even ex-CM can be probed’: Suvendu Adhikari’s big statement on RG Kar case | Big action in RG Kar case: Bengal CM Suvendu Adhikari suspends 3 IPS officers, including ex-CP Vineet Goyal | Modi’s UAE visit delivers major defence, energy deals amid Middle East tensions
Image: Google Maps

APSC’s cash-for-job scam: Assam police yet to get permission from government to conduct probe against high profile persons

| @indiablooms | Sep 22, 2018, at 07:51 pm

Guwahati, Sept 22 (IBNS): Assam police is yet to receive permission from the state government to conduct investigation against a judicial officer and some other high profile persons whose names have appeared for their alleged involvement in connection with the cash-for-job scam of Assam Public Service Commission (APSC), officials said.

A top official of the state police said that during the investigation, several big names including a judicial officer, political leaders have been appeared for their alleged involvement in the scam and Assam police have sent a special letter to the state government for seeking probe against them.

“But, police yet to get any permission,” the top police official said.

The Dibrugarh police recently submitted a report before the court and it revealed that two accused persons named Surajit Choudhury and advocate Sailendra Kumar Sarma Baruah, who were arrested by police, were involved in a conspiracy to disrupt the investigation.

“They had revealed during police interrogation that, they had collected huge amount from the families of the arrested government officers and paid around Rs 1 crore to a judicial officer wife for favourable bail orders to some accused government officers. The investigation team had also collected evidence of telephonic conversation between Surajit Choudhury and Sailendra Kumar Sarma Baruah,” the top police official said.

The police official further said that, the brokers had also tried to manage some media houses and paid huge amount to some persons including political leaders.

It is to be mentioned that the Dibrugarh police have recently accessed some major reports from the forensic laboratory.

On the other hand, Assam DGP Kuladhar Saikia on Saturday said that, police will take action as per law against all people, who involved in the scam.

“We will not spare anyone, if he or her guilty found and law will take action,” the Assam DGP said.  

Assam police have so far arrested 56 government officers including Pallavi Sharma, daughter of BJP MP RP Sharma, Rajarshi Sen Deka, son of former Assam minister Nilamoni Sen Deka for their alleged involvement in the scam.

 

(By Hemanta Kumar Nath, Guwahati)


 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.