February 21, 2026 06:06 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message

Yemen: UN says shelling in Taiz leaves dozens of civilian casualties

| | Oct 05, 2016, at 02:04 pm
New York, Oct 5 (Just Earth News): The United Nations Human Rights Office (OHCHR) is reporting that casualties continue to mount in war-torn Yemen, including after an incident yesterday evening in the central city of Taiz, where artillery fire on a busy street next to a market in Bir Basha, Al Mudhaffar district, left six children dead, six wounded and more than a dozen other casualties.


“At least 10 civilians – including six children – were killed, and 17 others were injured – including six more children and three women,” said OHCHR spokesperson Rupert Colville, at the regular bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva on Tuesday.

According to  Colville, the shelling appeared to have been fired from an area in Al Ta’iziyah district, where the artilleries of Popular Committees affiliated with Al Houthis and Army Units loyal to former President Saleh are positioned.

“Witnesses who spoke to our staff in Yemen said the street where the market was located was crowded with people at the time of the attack,” he said, adding that prior to the incident there had been no armed confrontations between warring parties in the Bir Basha area.

The spokesperson went on to say that OHCHR staff in Yemen verified that the overall casualty figures from March 2015 to 30 September totalled 10,963 civilians, including 4,014 people killed.

“During August and September, when casualty numbers climbed steeply after the collapse of the cessation of hostilities, six times as many civilian casualties were reported to have been caused by the Coalition – 279 killed and 339 injured – as by the Houthis and their allies – 46 killed and 62 injured,”  Colville explained. “During the previous two months, the situation was the other way around, with the majority of casualties caused by the Houthis and their allies – at a ratio of just over three to one – but the total numbers were much lower.”

Photo: WHO Yemen

 

Source: www.justearthnews.com

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.