February 16, 2026 07:40 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

Yemen: UN chief voices deep concern at crisis as country's leadership resigns

| | Jan 24, 2015, at 02:51 pm
New York, Jan 24 (IBNS) United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has voiced serious concern about developments in Yemen following the resignation of the country's President and Prime Minister amid a takeover of the capital by Houthi militants.

According to a statement released by Ban's spokesperson late on Thursday  evening, the Secretary-General urged all sides to remain “fully engaged” with his Special Adviser on Yemen, Jamal Benomar, who is currently in the capital of Sana'a and is consulting “closely” with stakeholders “to help find a way forward from the current crisis.”

The situation in Yemen has steadily deteriorated in recent days as Government forces engaged in intense fighting with rebel groups throughout the capital.

Following the shelling of the Presidential palace and reported attacks on the Prime Minister's residence, both President Abd Rabbo Mansour Hadi and Prime Minister Khaled Bahah submitted their resignations on 22 January.

“In these uncertain times in the country, the Secretary-General calls on all sides to exercise maximum restraint and maintain peace and stability,” the statement continued.

Earlier this week, the Security Council also voiced concerns over the situation in Yemen and similarly called on all sides to engage with Benomar who, the Council said, remained well placed to support parties' efforts to resolve their differences peacefully.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.