February 17, 2026 11:56 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

Yemen: Ban deplores attack on UN compound in Gulf country, calls for full investigation

| | Jun 30, 2015, at 03:44 pm
New York, June 30 (IBNS) Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has condemned the Coalition-led airstrikes on a United Nations compound in the Yemeni city of Aden, which resulted in serious structural damage and one casualty, a spokesperson for the Organization said today.

In a statement issued this afternoon, the UN spokesperson relayed the Secretary-General’s call for a full investigation into the incident and for those responsible to be held to account.

“International humanitarian law requires protection by all parties of civilians and civilian facilities, including UN staff and UN premises. The inviolability of UN premises and the important work of all United Nations staff must be respected at all times,” the statement confirmed. “Ensuring accountability is indispensable in preventing such incidents.”

As a result of the airstrikes conducted on 28 June by Coalition forces, the UN Development Programme (UNDP) office was severely damaged and a guard working for the Organization injured.

According to the statement, Ban “strongly believes” the incident only underscores the imperative that all the parties to the conflict must end the fighting and return to the negotiation table “as the only possible way to achieve a durable peace in Yemen.”

The Secretary-General’s appeal comes on the heels of last week’s Security Council press statement in which the members also “strongly condemned” all violence used to intimidate and interrupt Yemeni stakeholders participating in UN-brokered consultations aimed at finding a political solution to the crisis.

Photo: Almigdad Mojalli/IRIN
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.