February 19, 2026 05:20 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message

UN supporting authorities in Ecuador following strongest earthquake in decades

| | Apr 19, 2016, at 01:54 pm
New York, Apr 19 (Just Earth News/IBNS): While the Government of Ecuador is leading the response to continue helping people and communities affected by Saturday’s 7.8 magnitude earthquake, the United Nations announced it has deployed relief teams to provide additional support.

“The Secretary-General commends the Ecuadorean authorities for their leadership in the rescue effort and in providing relief to affected communities,” said a statement issued by Ban Ki-moon’s spokesperson.

It further indicated that Emergency Relief Coordinator Stephen O’Brien, who leads the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), has deployed a Disaster and Assessment Coordination (UNDAC) team, which stands ready to provide additional support.

According to the latest assessment, more than 230 people died in central Ecuador and thousands were injured in the earthquake, reportedly the strongest in decades.

“The authorities continue to assess the impact and damage, but so far we know that across Manabi and Esmeralda provinces, the earthquake has damaged or destroyed homes, hospitals, roads and businesses, power lines have been cut and tens of thousands of people are currently sheltering in evacuation centres,”  O’Brien said.

He noted that a state of emergency has been declared in six regions, and the Government has asked for international assistance.


“The United Nations and our humanitarian partners stand ready to support the people and the authorities with any expertise and support they may need,” he stressed, adding that World Health Organization (WHO) has deployed a mobile medical emergency team.

The UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) also announced it has delivered 20,000 water purification tablets to Pedernales, the worst affected area.

Their team is reportedly on the ground assessing the impact of the quake on children, and will continue to work with humanitarian partners to provide education, protection and water and sanitation supplies, including school kits and tents.

Photo: UNICEF Ecuador

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.