February 17, 2026 10:17 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

UN Somalia envoy condemns latest terrorist attack in Mogadishu

| | Jun 25, 2015, at 02:50 pm
New York, June 25 (IBNS) The top United Nations official in Somalia has condemned "in the strongest terms" today's Al-Shabaab terrorist attack against a convoy from the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in the capital of Mogadishu, resulting in a number of casualties.

“I condemn today’s appalling attack against innocent civilians and dedicated international officials who are providing critical peace-building and State building support to Somalia,” Nicholas Kay, Special Representative of the Secretary-General and head of the UN Assistance Mission in Somalia (UNSOM), declared in a press statement issued earlier this afternoon.

“The attack is an attempt to deter and undermine those from the international community working with Somalis to build a better Somalia,” he continued. “These terrorists will not achieve that objective.”

In a briefing of the Security Council last month, Kay told Security Council members that momentum had been regained on efforts to achieve political progress in the country, pointing to work by federal, regional and local leaders, and parliamentarians to build a State through dialogue and reconciliation, and top-level commitment to deliver Somalia's Vision 2016 plan.

At the same time, however, he conceded that there was “still a long way to go,” adding that with so much at stake between now and 2016, “we can expect Al-Shabaab to do everything it can to derail the political process.”

In today’s statement, the UN official added his “sincere condolences” to the family and friends of all those who have suffered, as well as to the government of the UAE, and reiterated the UN’s “unfaltering commitment to fighting the scourge of terrorism.”

UN Photo/Tobin Jones
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.