February 19, 2026 03:54 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback

UN sexual misconduct investigation in DR Congo finds violations and cases of abuse

| | Apr 05, 2016, at 01:29 pm
New York, Apr 5 (Just Earth News/IBNS): Findings of a United Nations Response Team tasked with investigating sexual abuse allegations committed by UN peacekeepers in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) indicate sex with minors along with paternity claims.

“Initial results suggest that there is evidence of transactional sex and sex with minors. There are also a number of paternity claims,” said the UN Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO) in a press release on Friday.

Additionally, the Mission noted that the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and its partners were providing medical and psycho-social support to the victi

Having received allegations on 23 March of sexual exploitation and abuse by members of the Tanzanian contingent of the Mission’s Force Intervention Brigade in Mavivi village, near Beni in the Eastern DRC, MONUSCO immediately dispatched a Response Team – led by the Conduct and Discipline Unit – to ascertain the facts.

This information was communicated to the Tanzanian authorities through the Permanent Mission in New York and to the DRC authorities on the ground.

In line with the Secretary General’s zero tolerance policy and UN Security Council Resolution 2272 (2016), MONUSCO announced, “these allegations are being immediately and thoroughly investigated and if substantiated, prompt action will be taken,” adding that the alleged perpetrators had been ordered to remain in their camp during the investigation.

Further updated information will follow as it becomes available.

 

Photo: MONUSCO/Sylvain Liechti

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.