February 18, 2026 06:00 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

UN relief official in Yemen condemns 'despicable' killing of two Red Cross workers

| | Sep 03, 2015, at 02:39 pm
New York, Sep 3 (IBNS): The top United Nations relief official in Yemen, Johannes Van Der Klaauw, has strongly condemned Wednesday’s killing of two staff members of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in the Amran Governorate of the country.

“I condemn this despicable act,” said Van Der Klaauw, UN Humanitarian Coordinator for Yemen in a statement.

“This sad event proves once again the urgent need for all parties to respect their obligations under International Humanitarian Law to protect the lives and rights of civilians and providing aid workers with a safe environment to work in.”

He also sent his condolences on behalf of the entire humanitarian community to ICRC colleagues and the families of those killed.

Meanwhile, at the regular press briefing at UN Headquarters in New York, Spokesperson for the Secretary-General Stéphane Dujarric provided an update on Saudi Arabia’s funding pledge for humanitarian needs in Yemen.

The UN Development Programme (UNDP), World Health Organization (WHO) and UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) signed A Memorandum of Understanding last week with Saudi Arabia for the following amounts: $1.7 million (UNDP), $22.2 million (WHO) and $29.6 million (UNICEF).

Some programmes have already been started based on the pledged funds and will continue in the coming months to provide relief supplies to Yemenis. This funding constitutes part of the Saudi pledge of $274 million towards the Flash Appeal.

The Strategic Response Plan for Yemen calls for $1.6 billion dollars; $352 million has currently been funded.

Photo: OCHA/Philippe Kropf

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.