February 17, 2026 07:29 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

UN proposes measures by Europe to reduce lives lost at sea

| | Mar 13, 2015, at 01:11 pm
New York, Mar 13 (IBNS): The United Nations refugee agency announced on Thursday that it has sent a letter to the European Union asking for a robust search-and-rescue operation in the Mediterranean Sea as part of a number of “bold and innovative” solutions to prevent more refugees and migrants losing their lives at sea.

So far this year, around 470 people have died or gone missing in the Mediterranean as they undertake perilous journeys to seek safety, compared to 15 in the same period last year, according to the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).

The new proposals were made by High Commissioner António Guterres in a letter to the European Union.

“We are proposing to the European Union and countries in Europe a number of bold and innovative solutions to address the challenges of mixed migration in the Mediterranean and reduce the number of people losing their lives at sea,” Vincent Cochetel, UNHCR’s Director for Europe, said in a news release.

“To continue with the status quo is not an option,” Cochetel said, “inaction to address these challenges will only mean more people dying.”

UNHCR said its proposals include the establishment of a robust European search-and-rescue operation in the Mediterranean, similar to the Italian Mare Nostrum operation which came to an end last year, and to set up an EU scheme to compensate shipping companies for losses incurred while rescuing people in distress at sea.

The agency is also urging the EU to explore solutions to address challenges once refugees arrive in Europe, ensuring adequate support for them and avoiding a few countries having to shoulder the main responsibility for them.

UNHCR said it is proposing a pilot project for the relocation of Syrian refugees who are rescued at sea in Greece and Italy to different countries across Europe, based on a fair distribution system.

“As Syria’s conflict enters its fifth year with almost 4 million refugees, predominantly in the countries neighbouring Syria, increasing legal avenues for Syrian refugees to find protection in Europe is becoming imperative,” the agency said.

Currently, Germany and Sweden alone have received around 56 per cent of all Syrian asylum applications since the conflict started.

This pilot project would seek a better distribution of Syrians recognized as refugees, among all countries in the EU, and also contribute to reduce the risk of trafficking and exploitation linked to the current onward movements within the EU.

“As anti-foreigner rhetoric echoes through Europe, it is important that we remember that refugees are fleeing war and violence in places such as Syria,” said Cochetel.

“UNHCR’s proposal includes also efforts to ensure that solid national integration support programmes are developed, and that refugees receive the support they need to contribute to our societies,” he said.

Photo: UNHCR/F. Noy

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.