February 19, 2026 03:54 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback

UN peacekeeping chief condemns sexual exploitation; says victims' needs are 'top priority'

| | Apr 02, 2016, at 01:31 pm
New York, Apr 2 (Just Earth News/IBNS): The top United Nations peacekeeping official has underscored that the protection of and assistance to victims of sexual exploitation and abuse in the Central African Republic remains the Organization's top priority.

According to the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, Hervé Ladsous, the Under-Secretary-General who heads the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations, said: 'I condemn the scourge of sexual exploitation in the Central African Republic,' and reiterated proposals to establish martial courts in situ.

Ladsous met with personnel from the UN Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA) and, through video conference, with staff from the field, where he firmly reminded military personnel commanders and police officers that they needed to be personally committed to countering sexual exploitation and abuse.

Speaking to reporters in Bangui, the UN peacekeeping chief stressed that it was the responsibility of police and troop contributing countries to provide military and police staff personnel who have been sensitized, trained and fully aware that they would face sanctions if allegations were to be confirmed.

At the same time, victims in the area continued to be interviewed by a MINUSCA-led investigation team comprised of experts on internal oversight, human rights, child and women's protection, conduct and discipline from various parts of the UN system, including the Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS), the UN Population Fund (UNFPA), the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), and the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF).

Ladsous has been in CAR since earlier in the week when he represented the Secretary-General at the inauguration ceremony of the newly elected president of CAR, Faustin-Archange Touadera.

UN Photo/Catianne Tijerina

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.