February 18, 2026 10:57 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

UN official alarmed at upsurge in human rights abuses in Burundi

| | Sep 29, 2015, at 03:08 pm
New York, Sept 29 (IBNS): The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights on Monday reported an alarming upsurge in arrests, detention and killings in Burundi since the beginning of September, and urged the country’s authorities to fight against impunity.

“Almost every day, dead bodies are found lying on the streets of some of Bujumbura’s neighbourhoods,” Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein said in a news release.

He said, “In many cases, the victims appear to have been killed by a bullet fired at close range. The bodies sometimes show signs of torture and are typically found with their hands tied behind their backs.”

Reports received by the High Commissioner’s Office (OHCHR) suggest that many of these people had been arrested by the police or by the National Intelligence Agency (SNR) prior to their deaths.

“This succession of unexplained killings, and the widespread perception that they may be linked to State institutions, is instilling a deep sense of fear within the population, especially in neighbourhoods known to be supportive of the opposition,” said the High Commissioner.

Since April 2015, OHCHR has registered 134 killings and hundreds of cases of arbitrary arrest and detention. Some of these cases stay in pre-trial detention over the maximum duration allowed under international law.

The High Commissioner added that there has been an intensification of search operations allegedly aimed at seizing illegal weapons in specific neighbourhoods of the capital, Bujumbura.

“Young adults seem to be particularly targeted, with many of them alleging they were accused by the authorities of intending to join rebel groups based in neighbouring countries,” he said.

OHCHR has documented more than 90 cases of torture since April 2015. It has also been receiving many allegations of torture carried out by police or the SNR, with the reported aim of forcing victims to confess to participation in an armed rebellion.

“Because crimes as serious as extrajudicial executions and torture are going unpunished, more people are looking to take the law into their own hands. There is an increasing risk that spiralling tit-for-tat violence will plunge the country back into its bloody past,” the High Commissioner warned.

Photo: Desire Nimubona/IRIN
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.