February 16, 2026 07:38 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

UN Libya Mission condemns attack against Central Bank in Benghazi

| | Jan 23, 2015, at 02:51 pm
New York, Jan 23 (IBNS) The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) on Thursday condemned the reported armed attack against the country’s Central Bank branch in the eastern city of Benghazi.

The Mission also called for the establishment of an independent commission of inquiry to investigate the situation, a UN spokesperson told the press at a Headquarters briefing this afternoon.

“UNSMIL says that the incident and the latest ceasefire breaches stress the importance of moving ahead urgently with the dialogue process, which remains the best solution to Libya’s deteriorating political and security situation,” said Farhan Haq.

It calls on all parties to do more to make sure that the truce, which the parties unilaterally agreed to last week, is fully respected in order to create a conducive environment for the dialogue.

The ceasefire was announced last week after a first round of intensive talks, hosted by UNSMIL in Geneva, during which participants agreed upon an agenda for discussions going forward, with the aim of reaching a political agreement to form a consensual national unity government, and making security arrangements necessary to end fighting and ensure the withdrawal of armed groups from Libyan cities.

As well as discussing confidence-building measures to safeguard Libya's national unity and to alleviate the population's suffering, participants also agreed to hold another round of talks in Geneva next week and strongly urged all relevant Libyan stakeholders to attend.

Photo: UNSMIL/Iason Athanasiadis

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.