February 22, 2026 12:55 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal | Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports | US Supreme Court shocks Donald Trump on tariffs — but India may still end up paying more | PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit

UN food agencies urge Governments to step up food action in African countries facing famine

| | Apr 29, 2017, at 10:29 pm
New York, Apr 29 (Just Earth News): Unless urgent action is taken to feed people in north-east Nigeria, Somalia, South Sudan and Yemen, more than 20 million people will not find enough food to eat, the heads of the United Nations food agencies on Friday warned.

“Many people have already died,” UN Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) Director-General José Graziano da Silva said on the sidelines of FAO's Council – the executive arm of FAO's governing body – which is now meeting in Rome.

He stressed that peace is essential for ending the fighting which is spurring the famine, but more needs to be done to fight hunger.

“I visited Maiduguri in north-eastern Nigeria and saw myself how powerful agricultural support can be in a humanitarian crisis,” Grazaiano da Silva said.

A famine has been formally declared in parts of South Sudan, while north-eastern Nigeria, Somalia and Yemen are on the brink of famine, according to the press release.

“We have the strength, logistical capacity and technology to get the job done. What we need is access to the people who are on the brink of famine and resources, now not later,” said David Beasley, the new Executive Director of the UN World Food Programme.

For example, in South Sudan, FAO and WFP are part of an inter-agency rapid response bringing life-saving food, fishing and vegetable-growing kits, and other emergency services to hard-to-reach communities gripped by famine.

However, more funding is needed. Food production kits cost less than $90 but can provide enough food for a family of eight for six months, FAO has said.

Around $4.4 billion has been requested for programs related to the famine. So far, $1.2 billion or about 27 per cent, has been received, according to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).

“Without this support, we will have to make life-challenging decisions over who will receive food and who will not,” cautioned Beasley.

UNICEF/Mackenzie Knowles-Coursin

Source: www.justearthnews.com

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.