February 18, 2026 09:03 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

UN envoy on sexual violence in conflict wraps up official visit to Guinea

| | Sep 23, 2015, at 03:03 pm
New York, Sept 23 (IBNS) The United Nations Special Representative on Sexual Violence in Conflict, Zainab Hawa Bangura has wrapped up an official visit to Guinea, where her Office has been supporting an investigation into events that took place in 2009 at a stadium in the capital, Conakry, where more than 100 people were killed and at least 100 women were raped during an opposition demonstration.

According to a news release, Bangura was on a four-day visit to Guinea where she met with senior Government officials, UN agencies and civil society groups.

The Special Representative’s office is providing technical and logistical support to a Panel of Judges investigating the incidents of 28 September 2009, where at the national stadium almost 156 people were killed and 109 women were raped and subjected to other forms of sexual crimes during an opposition demonstration.

According to the release, 16 people have been indicted so far in connection with the case, including former Head of State- Moussa Dadis Camara and several high ranking military officers.

Speaking earlier this year regarding the indictments Bangura said, “I commend the national authorities for exercising ownership, leadership and responsibility over this process which seeks to bring justice to victims of crimes committed during the horrific events which took place Conakry in broad daylight.”

Photo: Office of the Special Representative on Sexual Violence in Conflict

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.