February 17, 2026 12:58 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

UN and partners seek $30 million for flood response, recovery in Mozambique

| | Feb 14, 2015, at 07:03 pm
New York, Feb 14 (IBNS): United Nations agencies joined the wider humanitarian community and non-governmental organizations in Mozambique to launch on Fridaya $30.1 million response and recovery proposal to meet the needs of more than 160,000 people affected by hard-hitting floods in the Zambézia Province of central Mozambique.

Jennifer Topping, UN Resident Coordinator and chair of the Humanitarian Country Team in Mozambique said: “The floods have devastated large parts of some of the most disadvantaged and productive communities in Mozambique.”

Earlier in the week, the UN Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) approved a $3.2 million allocation to support the most affected populations in accommodation centres in Zambézia.

“Every bit of help will be necessary to make sure people don’t slip further into deprivation and can return quickly to productive livelihoods,” assured Ms. Topping.

The objectives of the proposal strategically cover immediate response as well as a 3-4 month recovery phase that encompasses lifesaving assistance to flood victims, such as shelter, water, sanitation, food, health and education.

Interventions focusing on early economic recovery are also included. Funds will be utilized to restore livelihoods and homes; boost logistics and operational capacity to expeditiously distribute relief items; and stimulate local recovery and reconstruction activities and markets.

Limited access to affected areas continues to hinder effective response. Flooding in the Licungo river basin has caused serious damage to numerous roads and bridges, especially in Zambézia where an estimated 70 per cent of the province remains unreachable by land.

In 30 days, as the waters recede and access to flooded areas improve, the proposal will be updated to reprioritize the top needs.

Photo: OCHA
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.