February 16, 2026 09:05 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers | Bangladesh poll manifestos mirror India’s welfare schemes as BNP, Jamaat bet big on women, freebies | Drama ends: Pakistan makes U-turn on India boycott, to play T20 World Cup clash as per schedule | ‘Won’t allow any impediment in SIR’: Supreme Court pulls up Mamata govt over delay in sharing officers’ details | India-US trade deal: ‘Negotiations always two-way’, says Amul MD amid farmers’ concerns

Turkey: Friday prayers held at Hagia Sofia after 86 years

| @indiablooms | Jul 25, 2020, at 12:02 am

Istanbul/UNI: Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan led Friday prayers at the iconic Hagia Sophia mosque for the first time in 86 years after his controversial decision to convert the historic museum into a mosque amid widespread global protests.

The prayers were held nearly two weeks after President Erdogan announced his controversial decision to open the 1,500-year-old museum to Muslim worship, converting it into a mosque. 

The announcement was made after a Turkish court ruled that the conversion of the monument to a museum initially in 1930s was illegal.

Erdogan was accompanied by several of his top officials and hundreds of worshippers.

Erdogan’s decision of converting the UNESCO World Heritage site has been condemned worldwide. 

The monument was built as a cathedral during the reign of Byzantine emperor Justinian I in 537 but was converted into a mosque after the Ottoman conquest of Constantinople in 1453.

It was designated a museum in a key reform of the post-Ottoman authorities under the modern republic's founder Mustafa Kemal Ataturk.

Erdogan had said it had been a "very big mistake" to convert it into a museum. 

The United States, the European Union, Russia and various church leaders expressed concern at  Erdogan’s decision while Greece branded the move an "open provocation to the civilised world".

UNESCO said it deeply regretted Turkey's decision, which was "taken without prior dialogue". However, Erdogan said called it Turkey's "historical and sovereign right".  

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.