February 19, 2026 02:27 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback

Senior UN official warns of dire consequences for millions of Iraqis due to funding shortfalls

| | Mar 24, 2016, at 01:30 pm
New York, Mar 24 (Just Earth News/IBNS):Returning from a visit to Iraq, a senior United Nations relief official on Wednesday drew attention to the worsening situation for more than 10 million people in need, and to the urgency to mobilize more funding for the humanitarian response.

“As the conflict expands and grows more complex, millions of people in Iraq are in increasingly dire need for international assistance," warned John Ging, the Director of Operations of the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).

According to the UN, two years of instability and insecurity have had a devastating effect on all aspects of life in Iraq. Iraqi people continue to face immense humanitarian challenges, including widespread displacement, the destruction of homes and livelihoods, and difficulty in accessing humanitarian assistance. Over 3.3 million people have been displaced by violent conflict since January 2014.

Ging also highlighted that Iraq is among the most deadly countries in the world for civilians, with thousands injured and killed by explosive weapons and other conflict-related methods each year. Last year, more than 7,500 people were killed and nearly 15,000 were injured in acts of terrorism, violence and armed conflict.

In Baghdad,  Ging visited the Takia site for internally displaced persons (IDP) and met with families forced from their homes, most from Anbar and Salah al-Din governorates. Among those he met were a class of teenage girls from Ramadi whose families fled the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) in April last year.

“I was struck by the enormous courage and positive energy of these girls who have endured such trauma and yet are so inspiring in their commitment to their studies with such a strong belief in a better future," he said.

In Erbil,  Ging met with displaced families that had fled violence in Mosul, the Ninewa Plains and Sinjar and are now living in informal sites, including a former chicken farm.

In meetings with officials from both the Government of Iraq and the Kurdistan Regional Government,  Ging complimented them for their generosity. "Communities across Iraq have shown exemplary solidarity with the displaced. The Kurdistan Region alone is hosting more than one million displaced people. However, they have limited resources which are nearing exhaustion. More funding is urgently required from the international community - otherwise people are facing a disaster".

The UN official also complimented humanitarian organizations for their outstanding work under the leadership of Lise Grande, the Humanitarian Coordinator in the country. "Iraq is one of the most complex and dangerous environments for aid workers and their courage and dedication is truly inspiring," he said.

Thanking donors for their generosity,  Ging made an urgent appeal for additional funding for life saving supplies and medicine. The Humanitarian Response Plan for 2016 prepared by the UN and its partners is a highly-prioritized appeal. Despite this, there is a $731 million shortfall in the current response plan, which is only 15 per cent funded.

Meanwhile, he reminded parties involved in military operations to ensure the protection of civilians and the preservation of civilian infrastructure in accordance with international humanitarian law. "The protection of innocent civilians must be top priority not just in rhetoric, but most importantly in action," he said.

Photo: OCHA/Bahaa Elias

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.