February 18, 2026 11:24 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback

Security Council urges increased funds to uproot terrorism from Africa's Sahel region

| | Dec 09, 2015, at 03:21 pm
New York, Dec 9 (Just Earth News/IBNS): Voicing grave concern at terrorist safe havens in Libya and the humanitarian crisis caused by Boko Haram terrorists in Nigeria, the United Nations Security Council on Tuesday appealed for greater international security cooperation and more humanitarian aid to bring stability to sub-Saharan Africa.

In a presidential statement issued two weeks after the top UN regional official warned it that the sub-Saharan Sahel region will become fertile ground for recruiting terrorists among its tens of millions of disadvantaged people, the 15-member body Council called for a dual policy of combatting terrorism and its havens while eliminating its root causes through aid and development.

“The Security Council is gravely concerned that Libya remains a safe haven for terrorist groups operating in the Sahel region, and expresses deep concern at the threat posed by the widespread availability of unsecured arms and ammunition and their proliferation, which undermines stability in Libya and the Sahel region,” it said of the war-torn North African country.

It called for international aid to provide Libya and its neighbours with the security assistance needed to combat Al-Qaida-linked terrorists, urged all Libyan stakeholders to swiftly form a government of national accord to end the chaos, and appealed to regional counties to coordinate their efforts to stop terrorists crossing borders and seeking safe havens in the Sahel.

Last month, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon’s Special Envoy for the Sahel, Hiroute Guebre Sellassie, warned the Council that up to 41 million youths under 25 years of age in Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania and Niger alone face hopelessness and are at risk of radicalization and migration.

She called for improved access to education and employment to avert the threat.

Tuesday’ statement also urged the African Union (AU), the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) and the international community to address the root causes, warning that humanitarian aid for the Sahel continues to be underfunded.

“The Security Council calls on the international community and donors to fulfil all their pledges made towards boosting economic growth, eradicating poverty and supporting governance reforms, through projects that would support peace and security efforts,” it said, urging all UN entities along with Member States and regional organizations to fund such projects as a priority.

“The Security Council calls upon the Member States of the Sahel region, with the support of the international community, to initiate programmes aimed at creating opportunities that would engage the youth in productive activities to reverse the tide of radicalization and recruitment into terrorist groups,” it added, stressing the need for stepped up coordination to tackle migrant and human trafficking.

The statement voiced concern at the scale of the growing humanitarian crisis caused by the Nigerian Boko Haram, which has displaced over 2.5 million people including an estimated 1.4 million children and sent 200,000 refugees fleeing to Cameroon, Chad and Niger, and urged international donors to support the regional Multinational Joint Task force set up to combat Boko Haram.

Photo: Mohammad Ibrahim/IRIN/www.justearthnews.com

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.