February 21, 2026 10:12 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal | Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports | US Supreme Court shocks Donald Trump on tariffs — but India may still end up paying more | PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit

Safe water now available for hundreds of thousands affected by Hurricane Matthew – UNICEF

| | Jan 06, 2017, at 05:45 am
New York, Jan 6 (Just Earth News): Responding to the humanitarian needs in Haiti, which witnessed massive destruction by Hurricane Matthew in early October last year, the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) continues to deliver aid and provide relief to those most affected by the storm.


Working with its partners and the Government, UNICEF has provided assistance through which some 280,000 individuals, including more than 118,000 children, have gained access to safe water. It has also contributed to a cholera vaccination campaign in November, that reached more than 800,000 people (including more than 300,000 children between the ages of one and 14), ensuring that information on prevention of cholera is properly disseminated.

“Three months after [Hurricane] Matthew, we can already see improvements: safe water is increasingly available, the vast majority of schools have reopened as have a number of health facilities; and areas that are the most difficult to access are receiving assistance,” said Marc Vincent, UNICEF Representative in Haiti.

“UNICEF is continuing to fulfil its mandate and obligations to emergency and development efforts,” he added.

More than two million people, including 900,000 children were affected by the hurricane. Of these people, 1.4 million, including 600,000 children require humanitarian assistance. In addition to the personal losses of homes and crops, more than 716 schools, many health facilities and existing sanitation infrastructure were damaged. The storm also caused significant loss to the agricultural sector and people's livelihoods.

Working closely with communities

In response, UNICEF has worked closely with communities on programmes to tackle malnutrition affecting both children and adults. It is also supporting families that have lost their livelihoods to prevent child separation as well as reduce the potential for child abuse and neglect.

In the health and education sectors, the UN agency has restored cold-chain systems of 37 health facilities, equipped 36 malnutrition outpatient and two inpatient treatment centres in the Grand'Anse and Sud departments – where the storm made landfall. UNICEF has also restored 14 schools, making it possible for 4,200 students to return to classes. Another 107 schools are in various stages of rehabilitation.

UNICEF has also established two sub-offices – one in Les Cayes (in Sud) and Jérémie (in Grand'Anse) – to better deliver its services to the affected population on the ground.

However, funding remains a challenge for the agency. As of the end of 2016, its $36.6 million appeal is about 86 per cent funded and UNICEF has called on donors to provide it with the support it needs to enable Haitian children and their families benefit from safe water, sanitation, protection, education and healthcare services.

Photo: UNICEF/Maxence Bradley

Source: www.justearthnews.com

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.