February 17, 2026 01:56 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

Respect for UN flag disappearing: UN relief chief

| | Apr 22, 2015, at 02:45 pm
New York, Apr 22 (IBNS): "Horrific” attack on the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) staff in Somalia, on Monday is a reminder of the dangers many aid workers face on a daily basis, the top UN humanitarian official said on Tuesday, urging that those who perpetrated the attacks be held accountable.

Four UNICEF staff members were killed on Monday when a roadside bomb exploded alongside their minivan as they travelled to work in Garowe, northern Somalia.

“Aid workers are increasingly targets, with serious consequences for our ability to reach people who urgently need help,” Valerie Amos, head of the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said in a press release.

She added, “Attacks on humanitarian workers can constitute a war crime and are in total violation of international humanitarian and human rights law.”

According to the UN, such attacks have increased every year for more than a decade. In 2013, they reached a record high of 264 attacks, affecting 474 aid workers.

“Respect for the United Nations flag and the Red Cross and Red Crescent flag is disappearing,” Amos emphasized.

“When aid workers are attacked, they are unable to help people. Those who target aid workers are penalizing the most vulnerable people in the world; those who are struggling to survive. They are violating every principle of humanity and common decency,” the UN humanitarian chief said.

In a statement honouring the victims today, UNICEF released the names of the four colleagues, who had been working since 2014 on vaccination against poliomyelitis, social mobilization with local communities, education, and administration.

“These heroes were dedicated to building a better world for children – today, all of us at UNICEF honour their sacrifice,” the statement said.

“Our thoughts are with the families of all who died, with those who were injured, and with all our staff who continue to work tirelessly in Somalia to support women and children,” it added.

Five other UNICEF colleagues are being treated for injuries sustained in the attack, and the agency looks forward to their speedy recovery. Two local security personnel, unrelated to UNICEF, were also killed as a result of the attack, and four others injured.

Credit: UNICEF

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.