February 19, 2026 05:21 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message

Republic of Congo: top UN officials concerned by reported attacks against civilians

| | Apr 14, 2016, at 09:07 am
New York, Apr 14 (Just Earth News/IBNS): United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said he is “deeply concerned” about recent reports that security operations undertaken by the Government of the Republic of the Congo in an area of southern Brazzaville known as “the Pool” allegedly resulted in attacks against civilian targets and displacement of the population from the affected areas.

A statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General said the UN chief is also “troubled about restrictions on access to the region, which hamper adequate information gathering, evaluation and reporting on the situation.”

Condemning all acts of violence, the Secretary-General also urged the Government of the Republic of the Congo to ensure that humanitarian and other relevant actors are granted access to the affected areas and population, and that security forces act in compliance with the country’s obligations under international human rights and humanitarian law.

Calling on all parties to show restraint and to engage in constructive and inclusive dialogue in the aftermath of the presidential election,  Ban said he is dispatching his Special Representative for Central Africa and Head of the UN Regional Office for Central Africa (UNOCA), Abdoulaye Bathily, to Brazzaville to consult with national authorities and other relevant stakeholders in order to defuse tensions.

Earlier on Wednesday, the UN human rights chief on Wednesday expressed concern over “very alarming reports” coming out of the Republic of Congo regarding the apparent Government security operation in Brazzaville.

In a statement, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein said that since the 20 March presidential election, there have been reports that security operations have been conducted against opposition leaders and supporters who allegedly attacked a police station and areas in the southern part of the capital on 4 April.

The Government has announced that 17 people died in security operations, including three members of security forces, with several others wounded, he said.

“There have been reports of mass arrests and torture in detention, as well as the killing and displacement of people from the Pool,”  Zeid said. “The reports have been difficult to verify, given the lack of access to the area by independent actors.”

Zeid urged the Government to ensure that humanitarian actors access the Pool and that security forces act in full accordance with the Republic of Congo’s obligations under international human rights law.

“Any incidents involving the use of force, particularly lethal force, by the security forces must be thoroughly, promptly and impartially investigated,”  Zeid stressed. “All those arrested and detained must not be ill-treated. They should either be charged and brought before a judge, in line with international due process standards, or be swiftly released,” he added.

Zeid called on the Government, political leaders and their supporters to endeavour to resolve all differences peacefully and within the law, and to “eschew violence in the exercise of the rights to freedom of expression, association and peaceful assembly.”

Photo: UNICEF/Christine Nesbitt

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.