February 17, 2026 05:21 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

Rebel group responsible for violations in DR Congo massacres: UN report

| | May 14, 2015, at 02:06 pm
New York, May 14 (IBNS): A United Nations human rights report released on Wednesday says that a Uganda-based rebel group has committed grave violations of international humanitarian law in crisis-riven north-eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).

The report says that the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) committed the violations, which were systematic and extremely brutal, and which may amount to war crimes and crimes against humanity, over a three-month period at the end of 2014 in Beni territory, North Kivu province.

“In light of the magnitude and the persistence of the attacks by ADF combatants, I call upon the Congolese authorities to take, as soon as possible, all the necessary measures to put an end to the massacres of civilians,” said the Special Representative of the Secretary-General in the DRC, Martin Kobler.

In total, ADF combatants attacked 35 villages, killing at least 237 civilians, including 65 women and 35 children, between 1 October and 31 December 2014, with a further 47 civilians wounded, 20 abducted and two sexually abused.

The attackers used machetes, hammers and knives, among other weapons, to wound or execute civilians.

Some had their throats slit, were shot at while trying to flee or were burned alive in their homes. Several cases of looting and destruction of property were also documented.

The report details the results of in-depth investigations conducted by the UN Joint Human Rights Office in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (UNJHRO) and features more than 180 testimonies from victims, witnesses and others.

It concludes that the total number of victims could be much higher as human rights officers encountered many difficulties in conducting their investigations and could not access some areas for security reasons.

Also documented in the report are violations of international humanitarian and human rights law committed in the same period by members of the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (FARDC) in operations against the ADF.

Investigations by the Congolese authorities into massacres in Beni led to the arrests of at least 300 people, including around 33 FARDC members.

Two FARDC officers and four ADF leaders were convicted by Congolese military justice authorities in November 2014 for the killing of the FARDC General Mamadou Ndala and for participation in an insurrectional movement.

“I welcome these initial steps towards justice, but urge the authorities to redouble their efforts to hold to account all those implicated in the series of truly horrendous crimes that ravaged the Beni area last year,” said UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein.

Photo: UN Photo/Sylvain Liechti

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.