February 23, 2026 12:17 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal | Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports | US Supreme Court shocks Donald Trump on tariffs — but India may still end up paying more | PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit

Opening of land route to Syria's battle-affected areas 'making difference' for aid delivery – UN agency

| | Jul 12, 2017, at 04:33 am
New York, July 11(Just Earth News): The United Nations refugee agency said on Tuesday that the opening of the road to Syria's north-eastern Hassakeh governorate is already making a difference for humanitarian aid delivery on the ground.

“With the number of people displaced from and within Ar-Raqqa governorate now having passed 190,000 since 1 April, the opening of the road from Aleppo to Menbij and Qamishli is a breakthrough,” said Andrej Mahecic, spokesperson for the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), at a press briefing in Geneva.

The agency has completed a first series of humanitarian convoys by the vital land route to Qamishli, opening a new link in getting aid to those in need in battle-affected Raqqa. Prior to these convoys, the road had been closed for nearly two years due to fierce conflict. Costly airlifts, with limited capacity, were the only ways to bring supplies into the area.

The spokesperson said that UNHCR's first convoy of three trucks reached Qamishli on 29 June and delivered relief including tents, blankets, jerry cans and other essentials for thousands fleeing conflict in the area. A second convoy arrived on 4 July, a third reached its destination on 10 July, and a fourth convoy is on the way, he added.

In Ar-Raqqa governorate, about 430,000 people estimated to be in need of humanitarian aid, with between 30,000 and 50,000 people trapped in Raqqa city.

Availability of food, water, medicine, electricity and other essentials has been dwindling, with the situation rapidly deteriorating. It is imperative that trapped civilians are able to secure safe passage out – to reach safety, shelter, and protection.

“Many face the terrifying dilemma of having to decide between taking cover as fighting continues to rage, or taking their chances and running – risking death for themselves and their families either way,” Mahecic said. “For civilians to be put into such a situation is an affront to the common humanity of us all.”

He reminded all parties of their obligations to abide by international humanitarian law and protect civilians.

Photo: UNHCR/Bassam Diab

Source: www.justearthnews.com

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.