February 19, 2026 02:22 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback

North Korea announces it has conducted hydrogen bomb test

| | Jan 06, 2016, at 03:08 pm
Seoul, Jan 6 (IBNS) North Korea on Wednesday claimed that it has successfully tested a hydrogen bomb.

State media has made the announcement on the test.

The country made the announcement after a 5.1 magnitude earthquake was detected close to nuclear test site.

According to USGS website, an earthquake measuring 5.1 on the Richter Scale hit North Korea with the epicentre being 19 kms east-north-east of North Korea's Sungjibaegam town.

Japan and South Korea earlier in the day   claimed that the earthquake which hit  North Korea on Wednesday might be the result of a nuclear test conducted by the nation.

Kyodo News of Japan reported: "The Japanese government said there is a possibility that the seismic event was caused by a nuclear test and that it is gathering and analyzing information."

South Korea has called it an 'artificial quake'.

"Considering the waveform and the amplitude of the earthquake, it seems certain that it was an artificial quake," a  South Korean meteorological administration official was quoted as saying by Yonhap News Agency.

"(We are) going through a thorough analysis based on the high possibility of it being a nuke test," the official said.

 

Image: Wikimedia Commons
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.