February 16, 2026 10:54 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers | Bangladesh poll manifestos mirror India’s welfare schemes as BNP, Jamaat bet big on women, freebies | Drama ends: Pakistan makes U-turn on India boycott, to play T20 World Cup clash as per schedule | ‘Won’t allow any impediment in SIR’: Supreme Court pulls up Mamata govt over delay in sharing officers’ details | India-US trade deal: ‘Negotiations always two-way’, says Amul MD amid farmers’ concerns
Mike Pompeo
Wikimedia Commons

Mike Pompeo hits out at Hong Kong's decision to postpone Legislative Elections

| @indiablooms | Aug 03, 2020, at 01:26 am

Washington/UNI: US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Sunday criticized the Hong Kong administration for postponing the legislative elections by one-year, pondering whether Hong Kongers will ever be able to vote again.

Earlier this week Hong Kong's Chief Executive Carrie Lam announced the decision to delay the Legislative Assembly elections scheduled for September 6 to September 5, 2021, citing coronavirus fears.

An official statement released by the State Department questioned the rationale behiend the long delay “The United States condemns the Hong Kong government’s decision to postpone by one year upcoming Legislative Council elections originally scheduled for September 6. There is no valid reason for such a lengthy delay. It is likely, therefore, that Hong Kong will never again be able to vote – for anything or anyone.”

Pompeo lashed out at Beijing for what he called was its flouting of the 1997 Sino-British Joint Declaration and Hong Kong’s Basic Law.

The statement urged Hong Kong authorities to reconsider the delay or risk continuing to become just another city in China. “We urge Hong Kong authorities to reconsider their decision. The elections should be held as close to the September 6 date as possible and in a manner that reflects the will and aspirations of the Hong Kong people. If they aren’t, then regrettably Hong Kong will continue its march toward becoming just another Communist-run city in China,” read the statement.

Chief Executive Lam explained the lengthy delay to the fact that the elections require extensive preparations, which the government wanted to avoid in times of high COVID-19 transmission.  

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.