February 16, 2026 12:46 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers | Bangladesh poll manifestos mirror India’s welfare schemes as BNP, Jamaat bet big on women, freebies | Drama ends: Pakistan makes U-turn on India boycott, to play T20 World Cup clash as per schedule | ‘Won’t allow any impediment in SIR’: Supreme Court pulls up Mamata govt over delay in sharing officers’ details | India-US trade deal: ‘Negotiations always two-way’, says Amul MD amid farmers’ concerns

Middle East: UN-backed reconstruction efforts set to kick-off in Gaza next week

| | Nov 22, 2014, at 06:01 pm
New York, Nov 22 (IBNS) The next phase in reconstruction efforts for war-ravaged Gaza is slated to begin as early as next week following an updated "understanding" between Israeli and Palestinian stakeholders, the United Nations special envoy in the region has announced.

In a statement released on Friday, the UN Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process, Robert Serry, hailed what called a “further understanding” to the trilateral agreement between Israel, the Palestinian Government of National Consensus, and the UN, permitting some 25,000 home owners in Gaza to access building materials for the repair of their homes damaged in the recent 51-day conflict there.

“They will be able to procure the materials to repair or rebuild their properties in the same locations where they were located prior to the conflict,”  Serry explained in his statement, adding that special precautions are also being implemented to avoid any misuse of the UN-backed reconstruction mechanism or diversion of materials for belligerent purposes.

“Materials procured under the mechanism may only be used for their intended purpose,” he continued. “The United Nations will undertake spot checks to monitor compliance.”

According to a recent UN assessment, as it stands now, over 100,000 homes were damaged or destroyed, affecting more than 600,000 people. Many people still lack access to the municipal water network. Blackouts of up to 18 hours per day are common.

In addition, the violence killed more than 2,100 Palestinians, including more than 500 children, and more than 70 Israelis.

Serry emphasized the UN’s commitment to assisting the Palestinian Government of National Consensus in its reconstruction efforts through direct financial support to homeowners in need. But, he added, existing resources were largely insufficient, particularly as pledges made at last month’s Cairo International Conference and amounting to about $2.1 billion were slow to arrive.

“The Special Coordinator calls on all parties concerned to lend their full support to enable the mechanism to operate at the required scale in the interests of the affected population in Gaza,” the statement said.

Heavily damaged buildings in Gaza. Photo: UNRWA Archives/Shareef Sarhan

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.