February 16, 2026 12:43 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers | Bangladesh poll manifestos mirror India’s welfare schemes as BNP, Jamaat bet big on women, freebies | Drama ends: Pakistan makes U-turn on India boycott, to play T20 World Cup clash as per schedule | ‘Won’t allow any impediment in SIR’: Supreme Court pulls up Mamata govt over delay in sharing officers’ details | India-US trade deal: ‘Negotiations always two-way’, says Amul MD amid farmers’ concerns

Mexico: UN rights office notes 'deep concerns' over case of missing students

| | Nov 15, 2014, at 07:48 pm
New York, Nov 15 (IBNS) The United Nations Human Rights Office (OHCHR) on Fridaycautioned against jumping to conclusions regarding the “complex and ongoing” investigation into the disappearance of 43 students in Mexico, amid reports that a number badly burned bodies have been recovered from sites in Guerrero state.

During the bi-weekly press briefing on human rights and humanitarian issues at the UN Office in Geneva earlier today, OHCHR spokesperson Rupert Colville, took questions from a journalist about reports that DNA identification of the badly burned bodies of 43 missing students in Mexico would not be possible due to the extent of the burns.

Colville said OHCHR has deployed staff from the Mexico Human Rights Office to visit the various graves and landfill sites. The Prosecutor General had said that because the fragments of bones were so small, it may not be possible to identify the people, emphasizing the need to wait for the forensic analysis to be completed.

According to OHCHR, the students were last seen on 26 September as they arrived in Iguala (Guerrero) to stage a protest. Upon debarking from their bus, the students were blocked by police who, by some accounts, were operating in collusion with a local criminal gang. The police then fired upon the students, killing six people, including a 15-year old child and three students, and injuring another 17 people, while the 43 students were then taken into custody.

As a result of initial investigations, 52 people have been arrested in connection with the students’ disappearance, including at least 36 local police officers, and security forces, investigators and technical resources have been deployed to Iguala and the surrounding region. In addition, the Ministry of Interior and the Attorney General have established a direct dialogue with families, students and NGOs.

Meanwhile, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein met with Mexico’s Vice-Minister for Multilateral Affairs and Human Rights earlier this week in Geneva, said  Colville, and had a serious discussion about the investigation and the importance of discovering the truth. There are deep concerns about the case both nationally and internationally, he added.

Rupert Colville, spokesperson for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR). UN Photo

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.