February 23, 2026 05:22 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal | Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports | US Supreme Court shocks Donald Trump on tariffs — but India may still end up paying more | PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit

Man shot dead in Brussels after he attacks soldiers with knife, shouts Allahu Akbar

| | Aug 26, 2017, at 09:56 am
Brussels, Aug 26 (IBNS) A man who attacked two soldiers in Brussels city centre in the capital of Belgium with a knife shouting "Allahu Akbar" was shot dead on Friday, said officials.

The two wounded soldiers are out of danger, said reports.

Following close on the heels of the Barcelona attack, the incident is being treated as a terror attack, said Belgium's federal prosecutor's office.

While the attacker was "not known for terrorist activities previously, he attacked the soldiers on patrol yelling "Allahu Akbar" ( Arabic for God is Greatest).

Belgium witnessed one of the worst terror strikes in March 2016 when a coordinated strike at the airport and a metro station killed at least 31 people and injured over 300. 

Prime Minister Charles Michel tweeted: "Incident in # Brussels. Soldiers have neutralized individuals. Situation under control.
 
"All our support for our military. Our security services remain attentive. We monitor the situation closely."

Crisis Center Belgium said in a media release that there is a continuous follow-up after the terrorist act.

"Following the incident in the center of Brussels on the evening of Friday, 25 August 2017, a coordination meeting was held at the Crisis Center. This incident is considered a terrorist act. The investigation is in the hands of the Federal Prosecutor's Office," it said.

"During the terrorist attack, two soldiers were wounded. The attacker was neutralized by the military and died as a result of his injuries."

It said the threat now is serious and taken as such by all security authorities and services.

Meanwhile, following the Barcelona attack, the Mayor of Venice said anyone shouting Allahu Akbar would be treated as potential terrorists and be shot dead on four paces.

"Anyone who shouts Allahu Akbar in St Mark's Square can expect to be gunned down by snipers within four paces," said Luigi Brugnaro, mayor of  Venice.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.