February 16, 2026 07:38 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

Mali: UN mission wards off rebel attack; urges armed groups to respect ceasefire

| | Jan 22, 2015, at 03:42 pm
New York, Jan 22 (IBNS) The United Nations Mission in Mali (MINUSMA) has confirmed it used force in response to machine gun fire directed at its troops and towards the town inhabited by civilians, on Tuesday in Tabankort, in the restive north of the country.

The attack was carried out with a heavy-vehicle mounted machine gun belonging to the Mouvement national de libération de l’Azawad (MNLA), a UN spokesman told reporters in New York this afternoon.

Farhan Haq said that before engaging, MINUSMA fired warning shots at the vehicle which went unheeded. In accordance with its mandate to protect civilians, its personnel and its assets against imminent threat, MINUSMA then targeted the vehicle, disabling it.

Following tensions in Tabankort since the beginning of the month, the Mission has repeatedly reminded all armed groups of their obligation to respect the ceasefire agreement they signed on 23rd of May 2014. The UN reiterates its call to all parties to immediately cease hostilities and respect their ceasefire commitments, said the spokesperson.

MINUSMA also reported that public demonstrations have taken place in Ber and Kidal since on Tuesday  to protest the Mission's action in Tabankort. The demonstrations have now ended.

This attack is the latest in a recent spate of violence targeting UN peacekeepers in Mali. Briefing the Security Council earlier this month, the Under-Secretary-General for UN Peacekeeping Operations, Hervé Ladsous, said ‘no Mission has paid as much in terms of blood’ and that MINUSMA’s peacekeepers face assaults on a virtually daily basis, in the form of rocket attacks on bases and targeted attacks with improvised explosive devices.

Photo: MINUSMA/Marco Dormino

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.