February 16, 2026 05:50 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers | Bangladesh poll manifestos mirror India’s welfare schemes as BNP, Jamaat bet big on women, freebies | Drama ends: Pakistan makes U-turn on India boycott, to play T20 World Cup clash as per schedule
Australia
Image: Pixabay

Majority of Australians back int'l flights ban, COVID-19 patients tracking: poll

| @indiablooms | Aug 25, 2020, at 10:39 pm

Canberra/Xinhua: A majority of Australians support banning all international flights to the country and compulsory tracking for COVID-19 patients to prevent the spread of virus, according to a poll.

The Guardian Australia on Tuesday published a survey of more than 1,000 Australians on the country's ongoing response to the coronavirus pandemic.

It found that 65 percent of respondents were in favor of closing Australia's borders to all international travelers and returning Australian citizens.
The borders have been closed to international travelers since March but 4,000 citizens and residents are still able to return to the country per week.

The poll also found that 60 percent of respondents would support compulsory tracking bracelets for Australians diagnosed with COVID-19 to ensure they self-isolate.

More than 50 percent said patients should quarantine in dedicated facilities after testing positive rather than their own homes.
As of Tuesday afternoon there had been 25,053 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Australia, and the number of new cases in last 24 hours is 151.

Of the new cases, Victoria confirmed 148 and New South Wales confirmed three new cases.

Another eight people died in Victoria between Monday and Tuesday -- seven of which were linked to aged care facilities, taking the national death toll to 525.

The Guardian poll found that more than 70 percent of respondents agreed that authorities failed to prepare an adequate strategy to deal with COVID-19 outbreaks in aged care facilities.

Seventy-one percent agreed with the statement: "Hygiene and care standards in private care homes are poor which have contributed to the spread of COVID-19."

Despite the rising death toll, 61 percent were positive about Prime Minister Scott Morrison's handling of the crisis. 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.