February 18, 2026 04:02 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

Libya: UN mission condemns terrorist attack against Benghazi demonstration

| | Oct 24, 2015, at 02:23 pm
New York, Oct 24 (IBNS): The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) on Friday strongly condemned the terrorist attack which targeted a peaceful demonstration in Benghazi, killing and injuring many civilians.

“UNSMIL calls on Libyans to reject violence as a means to settle political differences and stresses that peaceful expression of political views is one of the basic rights in a free society,” said a statement issued by the UN Mission.

The mission also expressed its condolences to the families of the victims and wishes the injured a speedy recovery.

The statement also said that the stability in the eastern city of Benghazi is key to Libya’s overall stability and the latest attack stresses the urgent need to bring peace to the country.

“The shelling of the demonstration in Benghazi serves to show once again that the unending violence is claiming more and more lives, particularly in the city where fighting has raged for over a year and has caused unimaginable suffering to its residents, including displacing more than 100,000 people,” said the statement.

The mission also urged Libyans to set aside their differences, irrespective of their affiliations, and engage in efforts through dialogue to resolve the deepening crisis in the country.

“Their best response to the perpetrators of this ugly crime in Benghazi today is by working together to bring peace to Libya. Only through unity can terrorism be confronted and violence brought to an end,” the statement concluded.

Just two days ago, UN Special Representative for Libya Bernardino León stressed that the effort towards forming a unity government in Libya will continue, emphasizing that while a position had been announced that some parties had not voted for the UN-backed political agreement, “there is no chance for small groups or personalities to hijack this process.”

Photo: UNSMIL (file)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.