February 16, 2026 10:52 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers | Bangladesh poll manifestos mirror India’s welfare schemes as BNP, Jamaat bet big on women, freebies | Drama ends: Pakistan makes U-turn on India boycott, to play T20 World Cup clash as per schedule | ‘Won’t allow any impediment in SIR’: Supreme Court pulls up Mamata govt over delay in sharing officers’ details | India-US trade deal: ‘Negotiations always two-way’, says Amul MD amid farmers’ concerns

Libya: UN mission chief condemns Shahat attack, pledges support to end crisis

| | Nov 11, 2014, at 08:33 pm
New York, Nov 11 (IBNS) The top United Nations official in Libya has strongly condemned the “cowardly” attack that occurred yesterday close to where he was meeting with the country’s Prime Minister, Abdullah al-Thinni, in the eastern city of Shahat to discuss how to put the political transition back on track.

“I am not in a position to pass judgment on the apparent motive or the target behind the attack, but I can assure everyone that [it will in no way] have any impact on our work,”  Bernardino Léon, who heads the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) said on Monday in a statement released by his Office.

 Léon was meeting with the Prime Minister to discuss the latest developments in the embattled North African nation when the two explosions occurred nearby. No one from either delegation was hurt.

Such attacks “make us more determined to push for solutions to Libya’s crisis” around which there is consensus, and would pave the way to a return to an inclusive political process,  Léon said.

Last week, Libya’s Supreme Court declared the national Parliament unconstitutional. The Libyan Parliament which was elected on 25 Junewas welcomed by the UN mission in the hopes that the politicians would lead the country toward peace through inclusive political dialogue.

 Léon called on political actors on Monday to agree on a ceasefire and alleviate the suffering of the Libyan people. He also urged all parties to put the high national interest “above all considerations, and take no action that would further complicate the situation.”

Yesterday  Léon also met in al-Baida with the Chairman of the Constitution-Drafting Assembly (CDA), Dr. Ali Tahini, for an update on the CDA’s work and to discuss UN technical assistance.

He pledged that UNSMIL will continue its efforts to support Libyans to overcome the challenges facing their democratic transition and the building of a modern state with strong institutions based on respect for human rights and rule of law.

We call on all to make greater efforts to work collaboratively to find consensual solutions that safeguard Libya’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, and uphold the country’s democratic transition for which the Libyan people have made huge sacrifices,  Léon said.

He reiterated that United Nations is impartial and neutral in its approach and wants the best solutions for the Libyans, but it is for the Libyans themselves to come up with these solutions.  Léon said that he will continue mediation efforts, travelling to Tobruk and Tripoli for further consultations before putting a proposal on the way forward.

 

 

Head of the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL), Bernardino Léon. UN Photo/Amanda Voisard

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.