February 19, 2026 07:10 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message

Libya: UN envoy calls for safe evacuation of civilians caught up in Benghazi fighting

| | Apr 22, 2016, at 01:46 pm
New York, Apr 22 (Just Earth News/IBNS): The head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) on Thursday called on all the warring parties in Benghazi to ensure that civilians are protected, also urging them to allow and facilitate the safe and immediate exit of all civilians who are trapped in areas affected by fighting.

“All civilians – man, woman or child, Libyan or foreigner – wanting to leave the areas of fighting in Benghazi must be allowed to do so as a matter of urgency,” said Martin Kobler, Special Representative of the Secretary-General and the head of UNSMIL. “The warring parties must ensure civilians are free to leave and that their evacuation is safe. The wounded must be taken care of and everyone must be treated humanely, in line with international humanitarian law,” he added.

Kobler reminded the warring parties of their obligations to respect the provisions of international humanitarian law and international human rights law. “All parties must ensure the protection of civilians in accordance with international law, and those who fail to do so must be held accountable,” he said.

A large number of civilians, including Libyans and migrant workers, are trapped in areas of fighting in Benghazi, including the Ganfouda, Gawarsha and Marissa neighbourhoods. They face shortages of electricity, food, medical supplies and other necessities, in addition to the hazards of active fighting.

UNSMIL has long been seeking to arrange a humanitarian ceasefire in Benghazi that would allow all civilians wishing to leave to do so and facilitate the work of humanitarian organisations on the ground. So far, it has not been able to secure the agreement of the warring parties.

Photo: UNSMIL (file)
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.