February 19, 2026 07:07 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message

Libya: UN envoy ‘deeply concerned’ by terrorist attacks on oil fields

| | Apr 28, 2016, at 01:34 pm
New York, Apr 28 (Just Earth News/IBNS): The most senior United Nations official in Libya on Wednesday said he is deeply concerned by recent incursions by the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL/Da’esh) into Libya’s oil crescent region and by attacks carried on oil fields.

“The attacks of the so called Islamic State and its intention to control vital strategic areas are a serious threat to Libya’s oil installations,” warned Martin Kobler, the Special Representative of the Secretary-General and Head of the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL), in a press release.

“It constitutes a grave assault not only on the lifeline of Libya’s national economy, but on the very livelihoods of millions of ordinary Libyans, many of whom are already enduring hardship as a consequence of the ongoing political and military conflict in Libya,” he added.

Taking note of the statement by Libya’s Presidency Council of 24 April, Martin Kobler joined its calls to take all necessary measures to safeguard the oil fields and terminals.

“I call on all security actors to respect the authority of the Presidency Council over Libya’s natural resources,”  Kobler said.

Furthermore, he reminded all parties in Libya of last month’s UN Security Council resolution 2278, which condemns attempts to illicitly export crude oil from Libya, including by parallel institutions which are not acting under the authority of the Government of National Accord. He also underlined the primary responsibility of the Government of National Accord in taking appropriate action to prevent the illicit export of crude oil from Libya.

Photo: Tom Westcott/IRIN

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.