February 19, 2026 12:46 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback

Lebanon: UN reports rocket fire from south towards Israel and Israeli mortar retaliation

| | Dec 21, 2015, at 03:11 pm
New York, Dec 21 (Just Earth News/IBNS) Three rockets were fired from southern Lebanon towards Israel today, and Israel retaliated with some eight rounds of 120mm mortar, but no casualties have so far been reported from either side, according to United Nations peacekeepers.

“This is a serious incident in violation of UN Security Council resolution 1701 and is clearly directed at undermining stability in the area,” UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) Commander Major-General Luciano Portolano said in a statement, referring to the resolution establishing a ceasefire after fighting between Israel and Hezbollah in 2006.

“It is imperative to identify and apprehend the perpetrators of this attack. Additional troops have been deployed on the ground and patrols have been intensified across our area of operations in coordination with the LAF (Lebanese army) to prevent any further incidents,” he added, noting that there has been no immediate claim of responsibility for the rocket attack.

“At the same time, there is a need to act with restraint and the parties have reassured me of their continued commitment to maintain the cessation of hostilities. At this time the situation along the Blue Line (between Israel and Lebanon) is calm.”

Israel informed UNIFIL that two rockets impacted in northern Israel, and a third fell in the sea.

In cooperation with the parties UNIFIL, which currently has nearly 10,500 personnel deployed in the area, has launched an investigation to determine the facts and circumstances of the incident as well as to locate the launching sites of the rocket fire.

Photo: UNIFIL
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.