May 22, 2026 09:40 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Big twist in RG Kar case! Calcutta HC orders fresh probe into evidence destruction allegations | Pulwama mastermind Hamza Burhan shot dead in PoK by unknown gunmen: Reports | NIA arrests Kolkata man for spying for Pakistan intelligence network | Cockroach Janta Party X handle withheld! Founder Abhijeet Dipke launches comeback account | Bengal govt makes Vande Mataram compulsory in all madrasas, extends school directive | RBI on alert! Interest rate hike may be coming as rupee crashes to fresh low | Big relief for Maharashtra employees! Fadnavis govt hikes DA to 60% | Twisha Sharma death mystery deepens as crucial evidence ‘not shared’ during autopsy: Report | Balcony Smiles, Colosseum Walks and ‘Melodi’ Magic: Modi-Meloni Chemistry Has The Internet Swooning Again | Big relief signal for Umar Khalid, Sharjeel Imam? Supreme Court questions earlier bail denial
Gaza Peace Plan
A child cleans a temporary shelter in Gaza. Photo: UNRWA

Israel, Hamas hold indirect talks in Egypt to end Gaza war

| @indiablooms | Oct 07, 2025, at 09:25 am

Israel and Hamas began indirect talks on Monday, aiming to end the ongoing conflict in Gaza.

Both parties have reportedly supported US President Donald Trump's peace plan.

Palestinian and Egyptian officials have told the BBC that the sessions are focused on "creating the field conditions" for a possible exchange that would see the release of all Israeli hostages in return for a number of Palestinian prisoners.

After Monday’s meeting, Trump told reporters, as quoted by the BBC, “We have a really good chance of making a deal, and it’ll be a lasting deal.”

October 7 marks the second anniversary of the Hamas-led attacks on Israel, which killed about 1,200 people and saw around 250 hostages taken into Gaza.

In response, Israel launched a massive military campaign against Hamas in the enclave. Since then, 67,160 people have been killed in Gaza, including 18,000 children, according to the Hamas-run health ministry, the BBC reported.

UN Secretary-General António Guterres, in a statement marking two years since the October 7 attacks, reiterated his call for the immediate and unconditional release of all hostages still held in Gaza.

“The attackers brutally killed more than 1,250 Israelis and foreign nationals. More than 250 others were abducted and taken into Gaza as hostages, including women, children and the elderly. The horror of that dark day will be forever seared in our collective memory,” Guterres said.

An estimated 48 hostages remain captive in Gaza, with around 20 believed to be alive and 28 presumed dead, according to Israeli assessments.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.