February 19, 2026 03:56 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback

Iraq: UN envoy voices alarm at ongoing violence, 'unacceptable' loss of civilian lives

| | Apr 02, 2016, at 01:37 pm
New York, Apr 2 (Just Earth News/IBNS): The top United Nations official in Iraq has expressed concern over the continuing acts of violence in the country, which last month took 1,119 lives and injured another 1,561 – according to casualty figures recorded by the UN Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI).

“I am extremely disturbed at the continuing loss of life and injury as a result of terrorism, violence and armed conflict. It is totally unacceptable that civilians should bear the brunt of violence,” said the Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General (SRSG) for Iraq,  Ján Kubiš, in a press release.

Among the casualties were civilians in personal security details, facilities protection police and the fire department, in addition to 45 federal police officers killed and 50 others injured.

The Iraqi Security Forces, which included Peshmerga, Special Weapons And Tactics Team (SWAT) and militias fighting alongside the Iraqi Army but excluding Anbar Operations, experienced 544 killed and 365 injured.

The overall casualty figures saw an increase from February, where a total of 670 were killed and 1,290 were injured.

“My hope is that the proposed reforms will be implemented and will lead to an eventual normalcy in this beautiful country,”  Kubiš asserted.

With 259 killed and 770 injured, Baghdad totalled 1,029 civilian casualties, making it the worst-affected Governorate. Elsewhere, Ninewa endured 133 killed and 89 injured; Babil, 65 killed and 141 injured; Kirkuk, 34 killed and 57 injured; Diyala, 11 killed and 0 injured; and Salahadin, 6 killed and 1 injured. According to information obtained by UNAMI from the Health Directorate in Anbar, up to and including 30 March, that Governorate suffered 201 civilian casualties, comprised of 64 killed and 137 injured.

The UN mission noted that it had been hindered in effectively verifying casualties in conflict areas as well as reports of large casualty and unknown numbers of persons who died from secondary effects of violence after fleeing their homes – due to elements exposure and lack of water, food, medicines and health care. For these reasons, the figures reported are considered as the absolute minimum.

 

Photo: OCHA/Themba Linden

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.