February 17, 2026 08:33 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

In Iraq, UN reports insecurity and violence taking 'terrible toll' on civilians from all communities

| | Jun 02, 2015, at 08:19 pm
New York, Jun 2 (IBNS): At least 1,031 Iraqis were killed in May 2015 and another 1,684 injured in acts of terrorism, violence and armed conflict, according to the United Nations Assistance Mission in Iraq (UNAMI), which said the actions of the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant’s (ISIL) were to blame for the growing number of casualties.

“Current developments in and around the city of Ramadi and in Anbar Governorate once again showed grave consequences of ISIL’s actions […], as around 237,786 individuals have been displaced from and within Anbar to date, while thousands were killed and injured, sometimes in the most horrendous way,” UNAMI chief Ján Kubiš said today on the release of the figures.

According to UNAMI’s latest figures, 665 civilians were killed and 1,313 injured, while a further 366 members of the Iraqi Security Forces lost their lives and another 371 were injured during the entire month of May. The data marks an uptick of 219 casualties compared to last month, although the confirmed numbers might not fully reflect an increasingly volatile situation, where civilians are also being displaced by the thousands.

Nonetheless, Baghdad was the worst affected Governorate with 1,044 civilian casualties (343 killed, 701 injured). According to its Health Directorate, the Anbar Governorate follows, with a total of 583 civilian casualties (102 killed, 481 injured).

Convinced that a military solution alone will be insufficient to defeat ISIL, Mr. Kubiš urged that the Government of Iraq to adopt a “set of confidence-building measures” towards disaffected communities, “enabling them to assume a share in governing their matters,” and “assuring them of the State’s ability to ensure their protection from violence.”


Photo: WFP/Marcus Prior

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.