February 19, 2026 05:01 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message
Hong Kong
Pixabay

Hong Kong: 21 nations express concern over media suppression

| @indiablooms | Feb 09, 2022, at 02:39 pm

Washington: A coalition of 21 countries from around the world, including the United States and the United Kingdom, issued a joint statement in which they expressed a deep concern over alleged suppression of independent media in Hong Kong.

"The undersigned members of the Media Freedom Coalition express their deep concern at the Hong Kong and mainland Chinese authorities' attacks on freedom of the press and their suppression of independent local media in Hong Kong," the statement said on Tuesday.

"Since the enactment of the National Security Law in June 2020, the authorities have targeted and suppressed independent media in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region."

As examples of media attacks and suppression by the Chinese authorities, the signatories cited the raid on the Stand News offices and the arrests of its staff as well as the closure of Citizen News that came about out of concern for the safety of its staff, the statement said. Citizen News ceased to operate on January 4 and became the third media outlet that halted operations in Hong Kong over the last year, the statement said.

Another incident occurred last June when authorities shut down the Hong Kong-based pro-opposition newspaper Apple Daily and arrested several of its top executives on charges of collusion with foreign forces to harm China's national security.

The Chinese authorities have repeatedly dismissed reports of media suppression in Hong Kong.

Also on Tuesday, a spokesperson for the Office of the Commissioner of China's Foreign Affairs Ministry in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region issued a statement condemning the Media Freedom Coalition for using freedom of the press as a shield to engage in activities disrupting China and Hong Kong and undermine national security and social stability.

The spokesperson said what is happening in Hong Kong is China's internal matter and Beijing is determined to safeguard its national sovereignty and implement the principle of "one country, two systems."

(With /UNI/Sputnik input)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.