February 18, 2026 05:52 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback

Head of mission urges release of remaining UN personnel taken hostage in South Sudan

| | Oct 31, 2015, at 06:26 pm
New York, Oct 31 (IBNS) The head of the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) today condemned the actions of the Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLM/A) in Opposition for holding UN personnel hostage, and refuted allegations that the Mission was transporting weapons and fuel for the South Sudanese group.

On Monday, 18 UNMISS uniformed personnel and 12 South Sudanese UNMISS contractors had been transporting fuel by barge from Malakal to the UNMISS base in Renk when they were stopped by approximately 100 SPLA in Opposition soldiers at Kaka in Manyo County.

The Opposition soldiers then separated the UNMISS personnel and contractors from their communications equipment, disarmed the uniformed personnel and seized the barge and its cargo of fuel, according to a statement issued by the Mission.

Following dialogue with the Opposition leadership, UNMISS was able to extract the 18 uniformed personnel yesterday. However, contrary to claims made in the media, the Opposition failed to release the 12 South Sudanese contractors, the weapons of the uniformed personnel, the barge and its cargo.

“I call on the SPLM/A in Opposition leader and commanders to release the contractors and all UNMISS property without delay,” Ellen Margrethe Løj, the Special Representative of the Secretary-General and head of UNMISS, said in the statement.

“I am adamant that the taking of UNMISS personnel as hostages is equivalent to an attack on the UN. I underline that such attacks against UN peacekeepers and other personnel may constitute a war crime.”

Løj also strongly refuted reports in the media that the barge had been transporting weapons cargo of any kind, and emphasized that all of the fuel cargo was intended for resupplying the UNMISS base in Renk, and not for the use of the Opposition.


UN Photo/Martine Perret

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.